Weekly Wrap- Up: The Week We Toured a Mansion

We had a busy week of crafting and art projects and even managed to throw in a field trip to one of the Newport mansions!  It still rained a lot but I finally decided we just needed to get out and do things and ignore the bad weather.

We woke to sunny skies on Friday and decided to get a jump on our ice tie dying.  It was a lot of fun but we ran out of ice and I had to make a quick "emergency" run to the grocery store to buy ice. (You can read all about how to use ice to tie die here). We headed out in the afternoon for the last homeschooling jump day at Launch.  We were so amazed at the huge turnout.  Unfortunately, Alec hurt his back within 20 minutes of being there and had to sit out the whole rest of the jump time.  The poor boy pulled a muscle in his back and was in pain for days.

Saturday the boys all went to work.  The younger two boys went and turned in some scrap while Ian went with his grandfather to work.  In the afternoon they helped us on the shed; cleaning up all the scrap book we had scattered around.  After dinner we played a rousing round of Apples to Apples.

I was a bit less nervous this week..  
The boys helped us move the wood rack on Sunday and then Ian went fishing while the younger two boys went swimming (no, not in the lake; that's still freezing).  After dinner we played Cranium.

I decided we just could not wait for nice weather any longer and so we headed out for a field trip on Monday ignoring the rain.  The boys and I toured one of the Newport Mansions called Marble house and learned all about living in style back in the guilded age.  We had a great time and already have plans to go back and tour at least one more mansion. I've got a full blog post just on our trip, what we learned and several more pictures coming tomorrow.

We FINALLY made it back to karate this Tuesday but only Evan was up for participating.  After class we went to Dunkin Donuts with his grandmother.  The boys helped with some housework and the groceries once we arrived home and then we all settled down for a fun new string art craft. (You can read about how we did that here).

 We awoke with no plans at all for Wednesday and all three boys agreed to participate in another art project.  Using oil pastels, watercolors, and salt we made some ocean animal paintings,  We finished up just in the time for the older two boys to head out with their dad on a run to pick up the materials for our new heating unit we're putting in our attic.  Evan really did not want to go for a ride so he talked me into staying home with him and we went for a walk on the local river trail and stopped to get some ice cream and french fries.  Along the trail we read the book Sylvester and the Magic Pebble and watched the ducks, geese, and heron.  With all the rain we've been having the water is running high and we could see the current running.

We stopped to watch the heron in the tree. 

Thursday we decided to stay home and my sister came to visit with my nephews.  The boys had a great time playing outside.

How was your week?


  1. Such fun! Love all the activities and art. Hope your weather improves. ☀️

    1. Thanks! It's supposed to be in the 90's starting on Sunday.. nothing like going to 90 from 50; that's New England for you. At least we'll finally see some sunlight.

  2. Awesome week! I can't wait to hear more about the mansion tour.
    Blessings, Dawn

    1. Thanks! It was so neat; though all three boys assured me it wasn't really their style (after all they had no TV or video games). LOL.

  3. Great tie-dye and string art projects! And the mansion you toured - wow, I'd love to visit there! thanks for linking up at Homeschool Highlights!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite TV Shows Growing Up in the 80's and early 90's

Throwing a Fabulous 70th Birthday Party at the Last Minute

Things That Make Me Laugh